8/10/09

Pasta Roller

My first attempt at making pasta with my new kitchenaid attachments was slightly disastrous, but salvageable. I tried making the pumpkin-sage ravioli recipe in the booklet (adding some ricotta, allspice, and parmesan), and, well, I learned how to use it after some missteps, and learned some other things about making pasta. These attachments save time, but require finesse.

First of all, don't put flaxseed in the dough. Holes appear in the dough around the seeds when you roll it too thin. Also, only roll it to thickness setting "4" and not "5." I had a bunch of ravioli with holes in them, which are no good.

They ended up tasting pretty good, but it was a ton of work. Next time I will do it when I have nothing else to do that day, so I can devote a lot of time to it and then freeze them, making it worthwhile. I have a lot of extra dough I gave up tonight because I just wanted to eat dinner and get it over with.

The pumpkin-sage was pretty good. Matt thought it tasted like little savory pumpkin pies (he also ate an alarming number of the broken ones raw; gross). I have a lot more to try, like mushroom or cheese or dessert ravioli with cocoa pasta dough and sweetened ricotta filling (and pistachios!) I'll post pictures when I make something really exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment