7/31/09

Sundried Tomato Spread

Okay, maybe you'd actually like a picture of the finished product from the last post. Here's the finished tapenade, accompanied by my sundried tomato spread. These two will be coming together on a single sandwich later. The tapenade is smooth, salty, rich, and complex; the spread is chunky, sweet, earthy, and tangy.

I looked through lots of sundried tomato spread recipes, and most of them had mayonnaise or sour cream or other apocryphal ingredients. I had to design my own, and I think I've come up with something that really works well as a sandwich spread. I guess mayo makes sense if you're looking for a dip, but it still seems...wrong.

Sundried Tomato Spread
  • 1 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained
  • 1-2 tablespoons capers
  • 1/2 head (or more) roasted garlic
  • 1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce (can replace with soy sauce or salt, if desired)
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • handful fresh basil leaves
  • dried oregano to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Again, just whir in a food processor until smooth. If it's too chunky you can thin it with some olive oil, water, or even the oil from the sundried tomato jar. The roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar, both sweet themselves, really accentuate the sweetness of the tomatoes. You can use raw garlic for more of a kick, but since I use this with the green olive tapenade (which contains raw garlic), I like the contrast between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment